Storage boxes come in all shapes and sizes. They are made from so many different materials you can’t even keep track, ranging from metal to cardboard, without forgetting wood or plastic. However, most people think that when it comes to use storage boxes, you just dump everything in one box and then just get a new one once the others are full. It’s he same process over and over again.
The problem with this organization method is that you end up losing track of your stuff, especially if you have a lot of clutter in your house. Poor organization leads you to use more boxes, but this can stop. Keep on reading and find out how you can use storage boxes in the best ways possible.
Storage Box Hacks
1. Try to get cardboard storage boxes
These types of boxes are the cheapest and easiest to get. If you want to save up on cash, then go for cardboard boxes.
2. Categorize when storing
You can try to organize these boxes according to where they can be found or depending on their use.
3. Label everything
Labeling these boxes is the first step to organizing them properly.
4. Separate your solids from your liquids
This will save you a lot of trouble in the future. Before packing liquids, make sure that the containers have no leaks.
5. Divide a box into sections
You can save up on boxes if you group smaller items into one box. Sectioning a box with am DYI divider will make it easier for you to find the stuff you’re looking for later on.
6. Try to get some plastic storage boxes
Items placed in plastic storage boxes can be easier to find, especially if the boxes are transparent.
7. Use shelving units
8. Place heavy items in portable heavy-duty storage boxes
This will make transferring heavy items a lot easier and much quicker.
9. Wipe everything before storing
Make sure to wipe metals with a rag to prevent your storage box from the rust.
10. Use Metal Containers
Metal containers are great for storing heavy items or those you especially want to protect.
11. Use wooden storage boxes
They’re a lot sturdier than cardboard and plastic boxes, as well as cheaper than the large metal boxes.
12. Stack boxes
Crate a pile of resistant storage boxes to save space.
13. Use padding
Wrap delicate items such as dishes in padding or Styrofoam to protect them before storing them in a box.
14. Never wrap with newspapers
Avoid using newspaper or printed materials to wrap your item: this way, you won’t get any nasty ink stains all over the place.
15. Pack thin items on their side
Place mirrors, records and other thin items on their side to save more space.
16. Try to use Porta Robe Boxes
These boxes are designed to properly store clothes for long periods of time.
17. Fill until its full
Always try to fill boxes to their maximum storage capacity.
18. Smaller boxes go into bigger ones
You can store smaller containers into bigger boxes that still have some space left.
19. Use other items
Any container can serve as a storage box: you can even use old jewelry boxes to place small items.
20. Protect fragile items
You can protect the boxes that have fragile contents by placing them on top of other furniture.
Reminders when storing the boxes
- When storing your boxes in a room, always make sure to leave some space for you to navigate through. This will avoid you knocking down any boxes by accident.
- Avoid stacking boxes too high. There will always be a chance that these boxes might come crashing down on you, causing unecessary accidents.
- When storing boxes, place the ones that you might use frequently at the front for easy access.
- Keep your boxes in a dry area without any direct contact with light or the sun.
- When stacking boxes, always place the larger ones at the bottom.
Any kind of container can be used as a storage box, you can even use old jewelry boxes to store small items. Besides, you don’t need to necessarily buy a new one when you got other stuff that can be used as storage box. If you do so, you just have to make sure that the container is sturdy and will be able to protect your stuff. Choosing the right storage box will help prolong your stored items.